Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | ICOM R-9000 Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM R-9000

You can write your own review of the ICOM R-9000.

K5YY  Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2013 18:11  Send this review to a friend!
just the best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this since 2003 and likely the highest SN in the USA (> 5300)... USA imports stopped in about 1996 since the R9000 is not cell phone blocked. This was new in 2003 and not for import, however I bought it from a collector of new Icom radios who lived in Hong Kong! Never a problem of any kind but I only turn this receiver on every month or so for just a few minutes to monitor a 75m morning gathering of friends. This receiver was about $8000 when new and I can see why. It is Milspec and covers up thru 2 GigHz! Very sensitive on 2 and 6 and 432, better than my stand alone single band Icoms were for those bands. Quiet and sensitive, simply the best I have had, and I have had all the receivers over the years, the R390A stuff, all the National HROs and Collins up thru the 75S3C and 51S1s and such. The JRC rigs with DSP were nice and I had from the 515 up thru the 545D but they had way too many bells and whistles for me. The R9000 is simple, straight forward and will do any receiving chore you may have. I have health problems and am going to sell mine but only to make the life of my wife a little simpler when I pass on. hi Just do not use the radio. I do run it on 100v after reading the articles on possible heat issues. I do NOT use the fan option from Sherwood. A muffin fan close by on the desk would assist cooling if ever needed. If you can find one of the early USA models with SN < 2800 for $2200 -2500 or so, buy it. Fortunately mine is the latest SN I have heard of and is like new! I paid a lot for this in 2003 and just the ownership has been worth it, due to rarity and Milspec quality. A SWL would never buy another receiver in my opinion unless you're rich and just want to buy the R9500 at $13,000!!!