Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Realtek RTL2832U DVB-T tuner Help

Show all reviews of the Realtek RTL2832U DVB-T tuner

You can write your own review of the Realtek RTL2832U DVB-T tuner.

VE3TMT  Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2013 07:17  Send this review to a friend!
Can't beat the price!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have two of these little units, one I purchased from China and one from NOO Electronics (only because I couldn't wait for the first one to arrive!)

I use them for many different purposes in the shack. The main reason I wanted one was to use as a panadapter for my Yaesu FT990. I was using a Softrock Lite II kit prior to the Realtek, and although it worked, I could only sample the 455 KHz IF which provided very little bandwidth on the display.

So I tapped the 47.21 MHz IF in the FT990 (RF board, little trace between T1005 and T1010) and set up the RTL tuner with HDSDR. The results are simply amazing. With my Creative Labs X-FI card I can easily see 2 MHz of the band at 96 KHz sampling. I can dial in any audio bandwidth I want, to hear the DX or listen to the ESSB guys. The performance rivals my old TS870S. It has turned the FT990 into a whole new radio. The radio is interfaced with Omni-Rig, so I see a signal on the band, I click on it and the radio is there. Or you can set up HDSDR so only the screen frequencies change, and your radio stays put on one frequency, like having a dual receiver. It's great for working split DX stations.

In addition to HDSDR, I use SDR# (SDR Sharp) for VHF and UHF receiving. I just installed the latest version, with the scanner plug-in, so it's like having a 24 MHz to 1.7 GHz receiver with no gaps. I also use ADS-B# and ADS-B Scope for monitoring planes overhead, all which work well with this tuner. For $20 plus shipping ($9 from China) these are great little devices. They may not rival the real SDR boxes out there, but for the price, they are fantastic.

You can see pics on the panadapter on my QRZ.com page.