Categories | Antenna Analyzers | MFJ - 249 Help

Show all reviews of the MFJ - 249

You can write your own review of the MFJ - 249.

W9MT  Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2013 08:16  Send this review to a friend!
Good unit, but mine has experienced some common faults...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like the unit very much. I purchased it about a year ago at a hamfest for $80.

Upon opening it, I found the usual cracked, cheap battery holders...a usual complaint voiced by other reviewers.

This didn't bother me, as I usually power the unit with a DC cable and external gel-cell battery when operating "portable". In the shack, I use a 12V wall wart. Just make sure you get your polarities properly oriented. There is NO reverse polarity protection diode in any member of the MFJ Analyzer family. You'll usually blow the 7805 regulator if you get this wrong. (No second chances...it will die the first time.)

After having the unit for a couple of weeks, it developed an intermittent problem where the meter would peg really hard to full scale, on every band and frequency setting. (I'm guessing this is why the unit was being sold.) So, I put the '249 aside in disgust until yesterday.

Reopening it, I began to poke around and found a hairline crack between the female UHF connector's center pin and its solder connection to the main pc board. Wiggling the externally connected coax cable made the "crack" just ever so slightly wider. Touching this up with a Weller soldering gun and a bit more solder fixed the problem. The '249 now works just fine.

This makes perfect sense as either:

1. Poor soldering on MFJ's part along with their less-than-stellar QC...

2. OR...this being the mechanically weak point of the design with the weight of "years of coax cables" placing lateral force on the solder joint of the UHF to pc board connection fractured the connection.

So, look for the dreaded UHF connector to pc board issue when your unit is experiencing weird measurement issues. I've read about this complaint on all of their analyzers...207, 249, 249B, 259, 259B, 269, and even the 269PRO. But, this common fault's easy fix can turn a junker unit back into a workhorse.

Other than this, all MFJ Analyzers are great units.