Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | COMMRADIO CR-1 COMMUNICATIONS RECEIVER Help

Show all reviews of the COMMRADIO CR-1 COMMUNICATIONS RECEIVER

You can write your own review of the COMMRADIO CR-1 COMMUNICATIONS RECEIVER.

KA2WDV  Rating: 2/5 Jun 18, 2013 20:56  Send this review to a friend!
The 90 Minute Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the 90 Minute Radio because it played for 90 minutes and DIED. It would not power on after that.In the 90 minutes that I had with it,I can give you guys a pretty good review. So here we go.
First, let me start off with the good and go from there. First, I was very impressed with the reception on the 40 and 20 meter band. It is very sensitive on these bands. The unit is very well constructed but comes with down falls. I found the tuning knob not the friendliest. It is, in my opinion, somewhat difficult to rotate. The reception on the short wave bands are pretty good.
However, there is no way to adjust the AGC so you live with what you get.I checked this unit out on UHF and it is terrible. As a reference, I had an old ICOM T7H tuned to the Thruway State Police, Very loud and clear. On the CR-1 nothing at all.
On VHF, I listened to a few of the local repeaters and found the reception to be very poor. I also checked this out on the 108-136 AM aircraft band. FORGET IT. No reception at all. I can hear the Boston Center on 121.35 on the ICOM.
I think one reviewer in here called these bands "BONUS" bands. What good is it to tune the frequencies if you can't receive anything. I am a big fan of nite time AM broadcast band reception. From Albany NY, I like to tune in to 1030 in Boston and 1010 Wins in NYC. I have a Sony SWF-7600 that is a true performer for this. On the CR-1, AM reception is weak at best and that is being very kind. I want to briefly tell you about the audio output as well as the audio quality itself. The audio output, I feel, is somewhat low and could have a little more audio output than it does. As far as the audio quality itself, I was not impressed at all. As it stands right now, I can not recommend this radio for you to buy. It will be a let down to anyone with true experience with radios.I really wanted to like this radio but I just can't accept all the problems it carries with it. If your going to shell out $ 500.00, this price tag commands some type of REAL performance. However, I was impressed enough with 40,20 meters that if the rest of the bands.....VHF/UHF/AM worked as well, I might have given these folks another chance. This radio hit the streets way to quickly in my opinion. If the bugs were all worked out this would be a great backpack/travel radio.I will say this, the customer service is very good and I am awaiting my prompt refund. Emails are answered in a very timely manner. I was told by DON that a failing TCXO was the culprit to the radio failure. The QC on these radios needs much in depth improvement. The radio really needs to go back to the drawing board.The serial # of my radio was 154. Don indicated to me that < than 20 units failed. Not to hard to figure out that this is a significant failure rate, unless my third grade math is off a little. So,my review is +1 for the customer service and +1 for the radio. Who knows, if they come out with the CR-2 with all the kinks worked out, I might just give them another try. I think this company is into aircraft transceivers as well. Can you imagine being on an ILS approach to runway 25r and your radio dies. Pretty scary.