Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-2900R Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-2900R

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2900R.

KD6JXM  Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2013 01:05  Send this review to a friend!
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a 2900R in a dune buggy... this means it is exposed to sun, sand, heat, excessive vibration and jarring.

I haven't had any issues with it as of yet... I picked this one up because of the lack of a fan thinking that sand wouldn't get in it... well I'm sorta right about that.

Sure there is some sand in the radio face, the hand mic is a bit crunchy (I use a headset in-car, the hand mic is used at camp or when we are stopped for a while and still need to communicate).

The radio has worked when my wheels are 6-8 feet off the ground... (Isn't that what they mean by a ground plane???) The radio has also worked well when I shredded a tire sliding sideways off a trail with everyone a half mile ahead of me (took that one a bit too fast).

This has been an entirely reliable radio for 3 desert seasons, the audio has been superb and I really do entrust some of my safety to it.

I would buy a second one for my other vehicles in a heartbeat... but lack of detachable faceplate and no 70cm keeps it from being used in my "in city" vehicles... of course neither of those features are designed into this radio, so it doesn't factor into the rating.