Categories | Antenna Tuners | MFJ-993 Help

Show all reviews of the MFJ-993

You can write your own review of the MFJ-993.

KB2NAT  Rating: 3/5 Jun 23, 2013 16:40  Send this review to a friend!
Somewhat problematic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this unit for over four years. It has pretty good range of adjustment and I've used if for loops, G5RV's and verticals. I've sent it in twice for work when it didn't. It has had an ongoing problem of slowly becoming less responsive to tuning changes. Ultimately, I have had to use CW tones to get it to tune when it no longer responded to voice. Wen I sent it in the first time, I was told it was outdated programming. The second time it repeated the same problem after a couple of years and then just refused to tune so I sent it in a second time. The unit is now becoming less responsive to voice again and I have started to tune it with CW tones again. Also for the second time, the light for the meter died. If I had it to do over, I would simply use a regular manual tuner. It generally is a good idea, but it seems to be a but fragile. I have been very careful with the unit, but it is, frankly, a bit like a toy.