Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-897 & 897D Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-897 & 897D

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-897 & 897D.

K7BWH  Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2013 19:04  Send this review to a friend!
Versatile portable radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the FT-897D for two years now, and used it both at home and portable, and both HF and VHF. With a matching LDG tuner it's handled every antenna I tried.

Strong points:
* Sensitive receiver works great on all bands.
* On VHF, I've activated all 18 grid squares in our big state and it always gets across the mountains.
* I've taken it to state parks and done very well in HF contests.
* The DSP handily deals with most kinds of noise. * The RIT is quick and easy.
* With practice I can run it mobile-in-motion on the passenger seat in the dark in a VHF contest.
* Rugged, reliable, portable, never had a problem.
* It has lots of modes and scanning features; it helped me map all the repeaters around. It helped identify a malfunctioning repeater.
* CW sounds good, keyer works fine.
* Measured output power meets specs.

Weak points:
* Not a great HF contest rig. The sensitive receiver works best on quiet bands and falls down in crowded contest conditions among lots of strong signals.
* I sure wish it had 220 Mhz capability.
* Tuning is easily bumped, of course it can be locked, but it's also too easy to bump the tuning again while locking the freq.
* Adjusting keyer speed requires going into the menu system. I wish it had a few simple keyer memories.
* Audio quality is okay but tiring, even with a Heil Traveler headset.
* Local radio reception is fine on AM band but FM band is low audio quality, almost as if it's being limited to SSB bandwidth.

This rig has been an outstanding performer for me. I take it everywhere in my 4WD, and then put it on the desk at home, plug in CAT control, and use it some more.

Barry K7BWH