Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | US Tower TX472 Help

Show all reviews of the US Tower TX472

You can write your own review of the US Tower TX472.

N7WY  Rating: 4/5 Jun 24, 2013 14:28  Send this review to a friend!
It takes some planning  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was challenged to find a MO PE who could review and sign off the US Tower drawings, US Tower provided no support, and once I did find a PE, he had to request the drawings from US Tower to be sure that they did not fall into competitor's hands. This review cost $300. Part of the exercise was to drill a $1500 hole 25 feet deep to ensure that the provided footer design would work in the MO soil. I overcame these two hurdles, got a permit, had the $3000 footer prepared by a structural concrete company, and passed the county inspections.
My tower arrived in MO two months later from the Lincoln KS factory at 28 minutes past midnight - the driver claimed my cell phone number was inop, but he found me in the local directory. He returned at day break, and I lifted the tower off his truck using a dual bale spear.
One thing I noticed was that the installed thrust bearing was dry requiring 6 shots of grease. After I installed the Yaesu rotator, and strung some cables, I attached it to the base with two bolts, lifted it into place, made sure it was vertical and then bolted it down. The last step was finding no-shrink grout, building a running square form, and pushing the grout under the base plate.
After all this work which spanned several months, I attached an M2 antenna, raised the tower, and worked Senegal on 10 watts with no effort. I expect to be using this tower for the rest of my life.