Categories | Keyers & CW Keyboards | MFJ-401B Econo Keyer Help

Show all reviews of the MFJ-401B Econo Keyer

You can write your own review of the MFJ-401B Econo Keyer.

VA4SR  Rating: 1/5 Jun 28, 2013 12:57  Send this review to a friend!
Caution: Limited Use  Time owned: more than 12 months
25 years ago I bought the MFJ-401B Econo Keyer II to use as a code practice generator when I was trying to learn CW. It worked well for that purpose and on that level. Within a few months, Novice license in hand, I bought a new Ten-Tec Corsair II, which had its own built in keyer...which was superb and took me all the way through Extra class code. I packed away my 401B. Now with an Omni-D I need an external keyer. Hooking it up to my paddle the other day I remember why I packed the 401B away. It chirps, has a sidetone that sounds like a wailing dove, and misses dits and dahs to the point that even I cannot tell what I am trying to send no matter how I try to adjust it or my paddle. I have other MFJ products that work quite well. But I strongly want to caution people who are looking for a deal on this electronic keyer. I will use it for demos when I speak to potential hams...no harm in connecting a straight key to it. But I would never sell mine as I'd feel like I would be just giving someone a piece of equipment that would frustrate them. CW is demanding enough all on its own without having to struggle with a poor keyer on top of it. I think I paid about $40.00 for it new...