Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | WWII USAAF HS-33 Headset Help

Show all reviews of the WWII USAAF HS-33 Headset

You can write your own review of the WWII USAAF HS-33 Headset.

VA4SR  Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2013 19:12  Send this review to a friend!
Still Flying High!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am surprised that no one has listed the venerable HS-33? 25 years ago I picked one manufactured by Western Electric out of a junk box at a small-time Hamfest for $5. I brought it home and plugged it in and there is nothing wrong with it...nothing. The tone and general audio quality is all still there. Considering that many WWI-era W.E. headsets are still working, I'd say it's one of the more dependable pieces of electronics ever built! (And probably by some Rosie-the-Riveter type who carried 100% the weight of the war effort back home at that! I'm proud to wear these things...)

My headset is in 99% cdx (I'd call it perfect...metal, leather, rubber). And if you can believe it, rubber ear pieces for it are still available (http://www.crystalradio.net/soundpowered/restore/index.shtml)!

Contrary to common opinion on eBay, equipment over 10 years old is not vintage. But these not just truly vintage or antique, they are CLASSIC! If you are a young ham starting out, or someone on a budget and see these for a steal at a swap meet, snap one up...you will likely not be sorry. Don't discount these any more than an Astatic D-104...