Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-590S Help

Show all reviews of the Kenwood TS-590S

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-590S.

VK2IN  Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2013 12:35  Send this review to a friend!
For the price there is no better!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi,

I recently bought a TS50s as a cheap main radio which is still an excellent older rig with an outstanding receiver (but its not a serious contest rig by todays standards), then another VK ham advertised his TS-590s at a great discount price.

After reading all its reviews including sherwood.com and the ARRL review,youtube etc, I just had to have it! I had spent diddly-squat $'s in my 40+year absence from our wonderful hobby so I just lashed out and bought both Kenwoods at a bargain price.

Yaesu, Icom and Alinco just don't appeal to me for some reason? I'm an older fossil and dislike deep menus.

I am NOT disappointed with either of them. The receivers are amazing in both but of course the TS-590S has the advantage of modern day IF noise reduction capability. It pulls in signals out of nowhere.

Don't get me wrong, the TS-50s is a wonderfully capable 20yo? radio at a truly bargain price and it has virtually no menus!

Let me explain .. I live on the top floor of a 2 storey apartment block and the "body corporate" won't tolerate external antennas.

So I strung up a non resonant 40 foot seriously bent dipole and also a long wire, and an OPEK trap vertical mounted on an "alumin-I-um" garbage tin (chuckle to our stateside friends, hi hi!) and tuned them roughly with the AA-54 and then the TS590sat (or the LDG-KT-100 on the TS50s).

The antennas are inside the flat, so its amazing I got out at all.

Hey, I worked most of VK states one day with only 10 watts dialled in on both rigs from a nonresonant internal antenna. So, I'm a very happy 'camper' indeed!

I'll never sell these two great Kenwoods. The difference from my old boat anchor Hallicrafters from 40 years ago is stellar!

Its great to be back. 73 from Pete