Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ten Tec 418 Solid State Linear Amplifier Help

Show all reviews of the Ten Tec 418 Solid State Linear Amplifier

You can write your own review of the Ten Tec 418 Solid State Linear Amplifier.

AB2YC  Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2013 18:01  Send this review to a friend!
A great little amplifier.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using a Flex-1500 to drive the Ten-Tec 418 into a SGC SG-230 Auto coupler with a S9v31 antenna.
I've had this amp about a month and a half now and have had time to figure it out (I've made over 300 contacts with it)

At first I ran various issues where I kept tripping it into the protection mode,
and I was almost ready to send it back, then I figured out what I was doing wrong.

Here is what works for me (I am using an Auto Coupler that will tune as needed).

1. Only run the tune power about 20% on the Flex-1500
that will keep the amp from tripping as the SG-230 tunes.
2. On some bands (40 in particular) manually select the band before applying RF or it will still trip
(20% out on the flex can easily drive the 418 to about 50 watts).

An alternative would be to disable the Keyline in the tune mode (I have submitted a request to Flex for this)

The support from Ten-Tec was great (when I was still trying to figure out what I was doing wrong).

Now onto the actual Review:

It is a great little amp, and by covering HF-6 it matches up nicely to the Flex-1500.

The display is large and clear (easy for old eyes) and the output switches automatically
to the 6 meter port when 6 meters is selected (that feature can be disabled if desired).

The internal fans are fairly quiet and I hardly hear them unless I am driving
the amp hard (SSTV, RTTY etc) then the fans step up to high speed.

I wanted something that did the job and Looked Nice in my shack, the Ten-Tec 418 fit that quite well.

My only real complaint (and really a nitpick) was that the power cord is
pretty short (under 6') a couple of feet more sure would have been nice.