Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | G4ZLP Electronics CAT interfaces Help

Show all reviews of the G4ZLP Electronics CAT interfaces

You can write your own review of the G4ZLP Electronics CAT interfaces.

VK3JED  Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2013 01:03  Send this review to a friend!
Excellent CAT interface  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ordered a CAT/data interface for my IC-7000. Connection went smoothly. My model also has the second serial port for separate PTT keying, which has got me out of trouble in a couple of situations, such as software not supporting CAT PTT (e.g. FreeDV). Driver installation was easy, interface has been used in the shack and portable with a variety of modes including PSK-31, Winlink (RMS Express), FreeDV, and software such as Ham Radio Deluxe, satellite tracking and memory management.

The only issues I found were some software required that I fix the baud rate, and 19200 bps was found to be best by trial and error. Also, in extreme RF environments, the interface may be reset by excessive RF. The CAT port is more susceptible than the other ports to this issue. However, this problem only occurs in extreme environments, which in my case were caused by antenna and ground limitations at my previous QTH. Shouldn't be an issue for 99% of users.

I reluctantly took a point off my rating for these minor issues, but overall I highly recommend any of the interfaces from the G4ZLP range.