Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-7410 Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC-7410

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7410.

VK4FAUS  Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2013 03:55  Send this review to a friend!
Nice Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
What a nice quality radio. Nice firm knobs, buttons and solid VFO, with a nice smooth action. Nicely laid out front, and if you have ever had an Icom HF in the last 10-12 years you will instantly be familiar with the user friendly layout. As always the NR is on it's own knob for infinite adjustment of the DSP, plus the 7410 now has the NB also on it's own knob for likewise infinite adjustability. This is somewhat different from earlier HF Icoms, which usually had a button only affair.

This radio does have menu's, of course, but pleasantly laid out and intuitive for a previous Icom user. The screen is a pleasant to the eye colour and the fonts are also easy on the eye for the many hours you will be looking upon the screen. The screen is VERY similar to the 746,746pro and 7400, which this radio is intended to replace, even though it has no VHF like the radios above. A curious omission, for a replacement radio.

I only use extension speakers so all my radios tend to sound the same, but the audio is clear and concise. The DSP works very well, and is far more powerful than what I am used to on my older DSP radios. No need to adjust the DSP too far for this baby to trample any noise or interference. Quite impressive, when you have an older DSP equipped Icom side by side and just listen to how the 7410 tackles the same task. In my case I have a 756proII sitting below my 7410, and the difference in DSP methods is quite startling. I'm lucky in regard to noise in general that I rarely need to use DSP or NB at all. I live in rural Australia and have a VERY low noise floor.

I love this radio, and I think you will too, it's ease of use, it's quality workmanship and it's ergonomics are a joy. If you like your radios, to be well built, easy to use yet powerful in there function, and you like to be able to drag those weak signals to the fore, and be heard in a clear and concise manner, then you will do no better than the 7410.

If I had to niggle. The ability to stick a pan adaptor to it, a clock in the screen and maybe VHF would be a good thing, especially as this radio is intended to replace radios, with VHF as standard. But dont let that hinder you in giving this radio a go. She's a deadset beaut HF radio that will be part of your shack for many years to come.