Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D HF Transceiver.

KM0K  Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2013 10:13  Send this review to a friend!
Mixed Feelings  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned a Kenwood TS-520 since 1977 and it has never been in a shop for repair. I recently just sold it to buy a FT-450D. Of coarse I read about all the problems with the encoder, but I thought it was the best radio in my price range and the features I wanted. When I ordered it I questioned the salesman about the problems, and he told me that those were the early radios that had the problems and that Yaesu had it corrected. When it came It was tough getting used to the menus. But I did and loved the radio until the VFO stopped working. Which was about a month after purchase. I called Yaesu and they said to send it in for repair under warranty. Well that's great...by the time I had UPS pack and insure it the cost was $52.00 to send it back. When I got it back it works great, only took 10 days to turn around. They shipped it back 3 day express. But I still missed Field Day. Now my problem is not with the radio but with Yaesu itself. They knew they had a problem with this radio not only the encoder but a bad key jack, and some people reported a hum or buzz on there signal. Which by the was I asked Yaesu to replace the key jack as cw is my primary mode of operation and check for the hum problem as long as it was there. Well I've had it back for about a month and it is working fine....so far. Then I asked for a reimbursement for my shipping charges...No reply. Do you suppose there are still the "older radios" sitting in a warehouse that still have bad parts in them?? I would bet we haven't got to the newer radios yet. Yaesu wants you to find the bad ones so we can pay the return shipping charges instead of a recall to retrofit with good parts.