Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Idiom Press SCAF-1 Help

Show all reviews of the Idiom Press SCAF-1

You can write your own review of the Idiom Press SCAF-1.

AD4C2006  Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2013 18:26  Send this review to a friend!
One great filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For years I have heard about how good this SCAF-1 was but never had a chance to own one.
Recently a guy on qth.com put one for sale for a decent price already assembled and made my mind,tonight I have it conected to the headphones connector of my new FTDX-5000MP and after listening for an hour I think there is only one word to express my impression: WOW !!
Its amazing how well this filter works, either on CW or SSB the filtering is very effective, I have been able to notch very strong stations just 200 or 300 Hz away from weak ones on CW and just 1.5 to 1.8 Kz away on SSB, its just like having a very well design DSP in your hands, so now with the help of sharp roofing filters and this very selective audio filter I have a very good sharp receiver. I don't even need to use the Contour/Audio filter control of the 5K.
I have to congratulate the designer and builder of this SCAF-1 because this circuit is very effective.
It not only narrow the audio passband but also cuts down the band noise to the point that look like we have the powerful effective "DNR" from the 5K.
I also tested with the K3 and it works terrific with that radio as well.
Its a keeper as a great accesory for the station no matter how old or new be your radio.

Hector