Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Puxing PX-UV973 dual-band HT with crossband repeater Help

Show all reviews of the Puxing PX-UV973 dual-band HT with crossband repeater

You can write your own review of the Puxing PX-UV973 dual-band HT with crossband repeater.

LA2YUA  Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2013 04:41  Send this review to a friend!
Nice cross band  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this unit for a day now and have had time to play with it a bit, my primary use case for it was as a portable cross band repeater. I won't really comment on the radio as a primary HT, but I will say the menus are responsive (unlike some other brands), the RX audio seems good. It uses a SMA-male plug on the radio like Baofengs, making finding a good antenna hard without using an adapter. Internal microphone isn't great, but not super awful either I guess.

The radio is as easy to program as any chinese made radio, it came with a manual that had a few typos but otherwise was pretty well written. Curiously the box says PX-UV973 on the top and PX-UV9R on the side, I used the software for the PX-UV9R and it worked fine except the VFO was always wiped when uploading.
I think the Norwegian comma/point layout makes it convert 151,4 to 151.0 when uploaded. Repeater shift is similarly problematic, when uploaded to the radio it's set to 0, clearly a problem with the software not handling the system locale.

Despite this, I had my radio repeating within 15 minutes of opening the box.

Battery life is hard to estimate, the manual gives no indication, I tried to measure the current when transmitting through the charging cradle but that didn't work. What is clear is that the 1.2 Ah battery is not enough to support long term operation, and I've ordered the 12V adapter pack so I can run it off a SLA battery or directly off a power supply. Of note is also that when the device is cradled and the charger has completed, any audio received or transmitted will have a nasty noise signal from the charger switching in and out rapidly, so it's absolutely necessary to have the 12V pack for this kind of use.

Audio quality is acceptable, but it adds a nice amount of background noise and what sounds like whining from the internal CPU clock. The pre-emphasis is too harsh and it adds a lot of treble to the audio. There's an option for a compander that seems to add even more treble.

It has support for ANI and DTMF kill-tones which is useful if it's going to be operated remotely, if it starts causing problems, just enter the kill code and it stops transmitting. There's a TX-stun that I've enabled which lets you use a second code to reenable it. It also supports some actions if you key in the radios ID.
The only useful mode I found is the call mode, which in normal mode will make it ring, and in x-band mode will make it output a single call tone on the output frequency (i.e. the one you didn't use to call it on), then it holds the output keyed for about 10 seconds and returns to normal. It's not actually all that useful though.

VFO A supports DTMF decoding, if you use a second radio to transmit into VFO A and enter some keys, it will show up on the display. This doesn't work on VFO B. As a consequence, you can only use the remote kill codes from one side of the repeater.
You can enter DTMF codes via the keypad before transmitting on the radio, which is a nice feature.

ANI by defaults transmits a nasty sounding MSK signal, for my repeater setup I set the designated "output" frequency (Which links into a real repeater) to transmit a three digit ANI burst in DTMF at the end of transmissions. The purpose here is to identify my repeater station, in case we have noise problems (which happens from time to time) it will be easy to tell if my system is relaying noise or not. Plus everyone knows more beeps = cooler radios.
I couldn't get roger beeps to work, it has options for a whopping 10 different types, but none of them actually did anything...

It's possible to set different ANI codes for BOT and EOT, combined with the TX Stun/Unstun feature this has the potential for some funky stuff, unfortunately I only have one of these radios.

I really wish they would just make this about as big as the old Icom bricks and put a huge battery + comprehensive DTMF remote control features, they'd have a killer product.