Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron ALS-1300 Help

Show all reviews of the Ameritron ALS-1300

You can write your own review of the Ameritron ALS-1300.

K7KB  Rating: 3/5 Jul 26, 2013 11:20  Send this review to a friend!
Getting Better? Has the 12V Module Failure bug been squashed?  Time owned: more than 12 months
To be fair, I'm going to up my initial rating from a 0 to 3. Although I had a terrible time with the 12V power supply modules dying when I initially purchased the 1300 a couple of years ago, it has been trouble free since Ameritron sent a new power supply over a year ago. I believe they may have updated the 12V modules and that has taken care of the problem.

I do like the instant-on capability. For a DX'er it's nice to switch bands and be ready to transmit immediately. When I have made mistakes and transmitted into a high VSWR, the ALS-1300 protection circuitry does the job of shutting down the amp. I've used it in various contests throughout the year and it does the job well, including RTTY at reduced power levels.

If you do intend on purchasing a ALS-1300, I would try to make sure you get one manufactured within the last 8 months or so instead of one that was sitting on the shelf a couple of years. If not, you may end up getting stuck with the dreaded 12V problem.

John K7KB