Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Ameco AC 1 Help

Show all reviews of the Ameco AC 1

You can write your own review of the Ameco AC 1.

KG8LB  Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2013 04:22  Send this review to a friend!
The Miracle of Radio Discovered  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I can remember back in 1961 going to Radio Supply and Engineering on Selden in Detroit with my dad . I had cut out the ad for the Ameco and had it all folded up in my pocket . Somehow the salesman talked my dad into an Eico 720 . The 720 was OK but I still wanted the basic little TX in kit form . Finally saved up a few $$ and landed the little Ameco . Somehow the little Ameco was a bit more gratifying to operate . Yes , the self described real hams may wrap themselves in an imagined aire of superiority because it wasn't built from parts but an 11 year old can still take satisfaction from making contacts with a lowly kit built TX .YEs some folks pay big bucks for them . This my tend to make the frugal a bit angry . The fact remains enough people are willing and able to pay for their desire to re-kindle the fondest memories of their excursion into amateur radio . Many of those same "kit builders" have gone on to build some very impressive home brew gear as well .