Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE Help

Show all reviews of the Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE

You can write your own review of the Hexbeam: G3TXQ by MW0JZE.

M6GOM  Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2013 06:20  Send this review to a friend!
Took a while to arrive but worth the wait  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I placed my order at the beginning of May with a notified 8 week lead time. For reasons communicated to me by Ant it ended up being quite a bit longer than that and it arrived on the morning of the 25th July after about 11 weeks so if you're ordering one you may want to take this into account. Ant responded to emails within a couple of hours so even though it took a while he does communicate well.

It arrived in the morning. Assembly was very easy to do although due to a re-design of the centre post assembly, the pictures differ to what is in the instructions but not to the point you can't work it out. Ant also has some videos on his website to aid assembly.

With the help of my son it was together in a couple of hours. It helps if you can get the base plate a couple of feet off the ground and so you can turn the antenna. I used a table with a spare wheel from the car on top which I put the centre post through. The only thing that needed to be done was some of the wire clips moving outwards to tighten up the cables.

Anyway I put it on my pneumatic mast and raised it to 20ft. Tuning was spot on on all bands with the exception of 50m which is about 2:1 but well within the range of most ATUs and I don't think its worthy of adjustment. F/B is as advertised or as near as I can tell and it had no problem getting to Brazil with 10W on the 10m band.

I thought long and hard what score to give it. The antenna itself is definitely worthy of a 5. The time it took to arrive is too excessive however given that I didn't have to pay for it until it was ready to be made and that he did communicate with me I feel it is unfair to mark the antenna down on that.

So overall great antenna but if you're in a hurry you may want to look elsewhere.