Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Elecraft KX3 Help

Show all reviews of the Elecraft KX3

You can write your own review of the Elecraft KX3.

K9YEQ  Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2013 09:50  Send this review to a friend!
Amazing Engineering  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was a field tester, but have reserved my review until now. Improvements continue to be added to meet the customer needs. So much has already been said, I really cannot add much more on than claim my total satisfaction. A few thoughts about by experience: When I operated my HW-8 in the early 80's, I loved it because it was so simple to build, easy to operate and required little power. However, the KX3 is so superior, I really cannot compare what you have engineered the KX3 to be vs. what the very challenged HW-8 was. The KX3 is an incredible contrast; excellent design using the modern techniques available, to produce an amazing piece of equipment.

To quote Wayne Burdick’s explanation of the radio design:
“… AM IP2 exists in all quadrature DC receivers to some degree because perfect mixer balance is not possible. We have a goal to improve balance using DSP techniques.
“… according to Sherwood and our own lab tests, when the roofing filters are turned off, the dynamic range at 2 kHz drops from 104 dB or so to about 96 dB, which still puts the KX3 into the top 6 of all radios Sherwood has tested. His third listed value of 65 dB was a worst-case AF opposite-sideband (OSB) image, not IMD. OSB images are related to just one extremely strong nearby signal, and are less problematic than IMD, which results from multiple combinations of signals. (The AF OSB image drops considerably when you apply RX SHFT=8.0, because it is now well out of the audio passband.)

"Fortunately the RX SHFT setting is per-band, so you only need apply it on affected bands. You also have the alternative of reducing preamp gain from 20 to 10 dB. PREAMP gain, too, is a per-band setting.

"The KX3's direct-conversion architecture simultaneously satisfies the requirements of small size and low current drain, optimizing for portable/battery use. A superhet (like the K3) would have taken too many parts (in particular, at least three crystal filters), and a direct-digital-down conversion architecture would have required much greater supply current, as well as being far higher in cost."

Can't beat the support and the continual follow-up from the Elecraft team. They continue to be the best bet for my HAM $'s and experience.