Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | WOUXUN KG-UVD1P Help

Show all reviews of the WOUXUN KG-UVD1P

You can write your own review of the WOUXUN KG-UVD1P.

WB6TNB  Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2013 13:44  Send this review to a friend!
A really fun radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked up an older barely used 2 meter/220 version for a song from a friend who kept it as a spare. It's no Kenwood TH-F6A (I have one) but it isn't trying to be one.

My friend is blind and learned to program it from the keyboard. He taught me how and it isn't difficult. Some people say the software and cable are an absolute must. They aren't.

It's got some ergonomic quirks but they aren't serious. The keyboard is a lot easier to use than the one in the Kenwood. It was designed to be a commercial radio hence the emphasis on channel numbers instead of frequencies.

The fit and finish are fine and the accessories are dirt cheap. My Kenwood SMC-34 speaker mic, which is designed for the TH-F6A, works great on it. People who know what I sound like in person say the transmit audio is excellent with both the built in mic and speaker mic.

I'm using a Diamond RH77CA antenna, which isn't supposed to be good for transmitting on 220. It hears better and gets out better on 220 than the stock duck, which was already quite good. A friend uses his 2 meter/220 on 220 with a 20 year old 2 meter/440 mag mount antenna. He gets out very well with it.

I've been having a serious desense problem with the Kenwood on 220 in some locations. I still get a little with the Wouxun but not nearly as much. The receiver runs circles around the Kenwood but it's DC to daylight so there have to be compromises.

I'd be extremely happy even if I'd paid full price. Highly recommended.