Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Alpha 87A Help

Show all reviews of the Alpha 87A

You can write your own review of the Alpha 87A.

W8TN  Rating: 5/5 Aug 20, 2013 14:44  Send this review to a friend!
22 Years & Goin' Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
22 years ago I purchased my Alpha 87a. Since I was an "early adopter", I did have some of the early PIN diode issues. But, before long, ETO fixed that problem and I had many, many years of uninterrupted service. Even when I transmitted into the wrong antenna, or forgot to reduce the drive, or made some other mistake, my 87a kept me safe by the many protection circuits built into it.

Then I experienced what is known as the "Fault 1" problem. This is a bias voltage issue. But, since it has happened to others, RF Concepts has placed a troubleshooting guide on their web site. I looked through that and decided to order all the parts that "might" need to be replaced (just 5 diodes and 1 resistor.)

It turned out that I needed some help in figuring out how to get to the part of the amp where the diodes needed replacing and RF Concepts came through again. They emailed me written instructions and even though the emails never seemed to show up (they got stuck in my SPAM folder), RF Concepts kept trying - even having the file sent directly to me by the CEO!

The end result was that my 87a is now back in A-1 shape and working just like new. The help I received from RF Concepts (who did not even own the company when I bought my amp 22 years ago) was nothing short of STELLAR! They went the extra mile to make sure I could repair my 87a and all they received was that I bought the half dozen parts from them.

Being inside the 87a let me see first-hand the top-drawer quality with which this amp is built. I don't recommend many things, but I will not hesitate to recommend this amp or RF Concepts. I have seen few things that continue to work as well today as they did 22 years ago when they were first built. But, if I ever need to replace my 87a, RF Concepts will be the only place I look.