Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng UV-5R Help

Show all reviews of the Baofeng UV-5R

You can write your own review of the Baofeng UV-5R.

K9DY  Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2013 13:33  Send this review to a friend!
Great for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
First of all, I prefer to buy American products (Ten Tec, Elecraft, etc). That being said, I bought one of these radios through Amazon for $31 with free shipping! I figured I could play around with it, and if it was junk or it died I wasn't out much.

I was very surprised with the performance and versatility of this HT. It gets good signal reports and it receives well. It is much easier to program on the fly without a computer than my Yaesu FT-60R, although I did use the CHIRP software to program it. The receive audio quality isn't up to par with the FT-60R, but I attribute that to speaker size. The drop in charger is great, much better than the "wall wart" that came with my Yaesu.

The only negatives so far are the poor antenna (and the reverse SMA fitting). I have ordered a better antenna and a spare battery. Also, it seems to have less rejection to cable leakage and birdies than my Yaesu. It is not nearly as hefty and has a cheaper feel than other radios, but it IS cheap! It is handy to easily carry around in a pocket.

I like it so well that I ordered three more. One as a gift for a ham buddy, one to donate to the local radio club, and one for a spare.