Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | MFJ-2240 40 Meter Mini-Dipole Help

Show all reviews of the MFJ-2240 40 Meter Mini-Dipole

You can write your own review of the MFJ-2240 40 Meter Mini-Dipole.

N2LJ  Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2013 13:27  Send this review to a friend!
Simple and Cheap for a restricted space!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been missing out on the 40M activity lately, and though I could hear 40M, my antenna setup kept me from transmitting! I live in the second floor apartment of a house, and have attic access. There is no space to put a conventional dipole for 40, and I need to keep my antennas indoors.

I decided to try out one of the dipole kits made with two "stick" HF mobile antennas, and settled on the MFJ, mostly because I knew an HRO that I could pick it up from!

I mounted it to the MFJ-1918 Antenna Stand which I bought with it. Setting it up downstairs at first, I got the SWR "in the ballpark" by adjusting the "stinger" lengths on each side in roughly equal amounts, using an antenna analyzer. Once it was "close", I took it all apart & moved it upstairs. It was a bit of a challenge, as the almost 15' dipole spanned three rooms!

Upstairs, the stand sits on a table, so the antenna itself is near the peak of the roof. I further adjusted the stingers, and made sure they were of equal lengths. I also broke out the Dremel to cut off the excess length of the stingers that was protruding into the "coil" part of the stick. Instructions caution one to do this, so there will be no arcing, and possible damage to equipment. I ended up taking about 6" off each stinger. That left me with a little space left to shorten the dipole further, though I probably can't use either as a mobile whip again!

By the way, while you could set it up without an antenna analyzer, I recommend borrowing or buying one for this setup. It will make the whole process go a LOT faster! Adjustment is a bit "peaky". You'll still need an antenna tuner to work across the band, or you'll be getting up to adjust the stingers often!

I have it set up so minimum SWR is in the lower phone portion of 40M, right where I like it. The SWR only goes about as low as 1.5-1.6 at the minimum, but my IC-746s internal tuner seems to be able to make up for the difference across the band.

I was rather happy to make 6 European contacts the first Saturday I had it up, including Spain and Ukraine. 5,000 miles on 100 watts into a $45 antenna? Not bad, in my book!

If you have the space for a full size 40M dipole, by all means put one up, but if you have restricted space, or want something for a quick setup in the field, this mini dipole made from a pair of HF "sticks" and a bracket works very well.

And as a bonus, the "kit" gives you $5.00 off the price of buying the two sticks and the mount separately!