Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Show all reviews of the Ham Radio Deluxe

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

W6ORZ  Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2013 09:50  Send this review to a friend!
Excellent application  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using a logging program for years. I like the ability to get DXCC status, prior QSO's and beam headings when I enter a call sign. Earlier this year I started looking for more functionality. I looked at Ham Radio Deluxe but didn't have the time to pursue it further. In July I read the QST review and revisited HRD. I downloaded the latest version. It installed with no problem. I exported my log from my old software and imported to HRD with no problem. The radio control interface is fantastic. I live in the DX Cluster window and jump when I see something interesting. Right-click on a call sign and it loads QRZ.com for a better look at the other ham. Another right-click and the call is in the log QSO window. Click "Add" and it's in the log. And the new log entries automatically upload to eQSL.com and HRDLog.net. In digital modes, you can automatically save the log entry from your "73 and good-bye" macro. With a compatible rotator, HRD will also point your beam. In a nutshell HRD does all the administrative work and lets me focus on hamming. I had one problem. The HRD radio screen has an option to support LDG Electronics antenna tuners. I could not get that to work. I called HRD Support and talked to Tim. We tried various things - all unsuccessful. Tim went on-line and downloaded the AT-897Plus tuner manual. We finally realized that the AT-897Plus works differently than the generic LDG tuners - it is designed for the Yaesu FT-897D only. So, I still have to push one button on the radio (for tuning) and have to reach over to rotate the Hex Beam. Overall I LOVE this software! Tim at HRD support was fantastic. He worked with me to figure out my problem and then spent additional time to give me some pointers on making the Digital Master 780 program work more efficiently. With access to people like Tim, I will gladly pay the annual support fee after my first year of support ends. This is a complex suite of software. It does a LOT of things. The interface allows the user to configure the rig buttons and sliders that display. And, rig control displays in the Logbook and the DM780 digital windows. The documentation is reasonable - it could be better. It will get you up and running. It will guide you through most of your questions. And if that doesn't work - you can call Tim and he'll help!