Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | DX Engineering DXE-8X Coaxial Cable Help

Show all reviews of the DX Engineering DXE-8X Coaxial Cable

You can write your own review of the DX Engineering DXE-8X Coaxial Cable.

N8OX  Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2013 05:52  Send this review to a friend!
RG-8X as Antenna Material  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A couple of months ago I heard this station booming in at S9/40+ on our Air Force MARS net. I asked his working conditions and he told me was running 400W into a W5GI Mystery Antenna. I'd never heard of a Mystery antenna, so, I went into research mode. It looked simple enough to build and was about 3 feet shorter than my G5RV. It did have mixed reviews but several indicated they performed better than the G5RV, especially at 14MHz and above. I ordered enough RG-8X from DX Engineering to build three of these antennas. It's not that I needed three; I'd planned on giving one to one of my co-workers, Eli/KB7EHL, who recently got into Ham radio and have another as a spare and be able to take it on the road. I placed my order on line and couldn't believe how quickly it was delivered!!! DX Engineering gets A+++++ on shipping and ship time. I found their RG-8X very easy to work with, especially in the construction of the W5GI antenna. I built two of the antennas over one weekend. You can easily, once you have all your materials, put one of these together in an hour. I took more time and was working at getting the measurements as precise as I could. I had both the G5RV and W5GI up at the same time, oriented in the same direction. I got mixed signal reports... Some replied the G5RV was slightly better. Other stations reported the W5GI was better. After two weeks of testing and comparing, I decided to take down the G5RV and make the W5GI my primary antenna.

The next project I took on was to clean and install my HF-6V vertical. The last time this antenna had been used was in 2000 in Korea. I was able to disassemble, clean, re-assemble, and roughly tune the antenna in 3 hours. I did the same for an ARX-2B I had. Since I was feeding both of these with older coax, I decided to replace it with DX Engineering RG-8X. I placed another order with DX Engineering and the shipping was spot on again!!! Attaching PL-259 connectors was an easy task. The DX Engineering RG-8X was very easy to work with. I do have a tuning issue with the HF-6V (found no resonant point on 20M and the 30M resonant point is about 120kHz out of band) but I'm working those. As for 80M-40M-15M-10M, my highest SWR at resonance is 1.04:1. My SWR for the 15M band is 1.75:1 well outside of the band on both ends (about 750kHz). On 10M I have a SWR of 1.6:1 or less (1.0:1 for a lot of the band) from 27.900MHz to 29.900MHz.

All I can say is the RG-8X coax is great!!! Easy to work with and does a superb job as antenna material or feed line. It was also the best price I could find on-line and all DX Engineering coax is currently shipped at no additional cost. Excellent product!!!

DX Engineering... Damn eXcellent Engineering. Keep doing what you're doing!!!

Hoppy