Categories | Ham radio kits | Digital SWR meter kit Help

Show all reviews of the Digital SWR meter kit

You can write your own review of the Digital SWR meter kit.

AD6KA  Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2013 16:31  Send this review to a friend!
A MUST for QRP'ers!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This kit is offered by Radio-Kits.UK, the same outfit that mrkets the outstanding MKARS80, an 80m QRP SSB transceiver kit that is an amazing performer in it's own right.

This PIC/LCD PWR/SWR meter kit, parts, PC boards, and instructions, and builder support are of the very highest caliber. As good as Elecraft or better.

The toroid transformer/detection board is seperate from the PIC Chip & LCD board to avoid any RF interference. It is easy to calibrate, **very** accurate, and the LCD display can be setup several different ways with the ease of four simple button: to show SWR or PWR simulaneously or seperately, and either in numerical values or "bar graph" mode, or a combinaion of same. You can even set it up to display the battery supply voltage.

While I have built the MKARS80 and am very pleased with it, I installed my RadioKits Digital PWR/SWR Meter into an enclosure with my BITX20A from Hendricks. It was very easy to remote the PIC board from the LCD Display, and also remote the four control buttons for the meter. It works perfectly with my BITX20A in an enclosure and I have received a number of great comments on it. Does a 12w monoband SSB kit rig really need an SWR/PWR meter? Perhaps not, but at this price and quality it is a very spiffy addition and has made MY BITX *REALLY* customized! ( I also ditched Hendrick's poor excuse for a frequency display and used one from Almos All Digital Electronics) Write me at my QRZ email and I'll send you a photo!) :)

The meter is also A GREAT VALUE of a kit and includes everything you need including a 16 X 2 LCD display. It is half the price of the Elecraft K1 and does SO MUCH MORE! Mine was supplied with a blue LCD display but you can very easily use another color 16 X 2 display, which are available everywhere on the Internet or in better retail electronics shops.

I built two other PIC Chip display Digital SWR/PWR Meters: The Elecraft W-1 and the HF version from Fox Delta. The RadioKits is superior to both. It is far more versatile than the Eecraft W-1, which ONLY shows "bar graph" mode SWR & PWR, and is difficult to mount in an enclosure. The Fox Delta unit is difficult to build as the instructions are *VERY POOR*, has few illustrations, and Builder Support is poor to non existent on FOX DELTA PRODUCTS.

I cannot say enough about the Radio-Kits.UK Digital SWR/PWR Meter. Please feel free to contact me with any questions, I am good at QRZ.
73, Ken AD6KA/5R8GQ