Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-230 Help

Show all reviews of the RigExpert AA-230

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-230.

AI4HO  Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2013 13:00  Send this review to a friend!
Simply the Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been remiss in posting my review of the Rig Expert AA-230 antenna analyzer. To start with, I replaced my 9 year old MFJ-259B analyzer, that still worked, maybe not as good as a brand new unit, but I could still count on getting my antennas, or assist anyone else in figuring out what was wrong or making sure that new home brew antenna's SWR was at least close. To that end, when I decided that it was time to replace my aging SWR analyzer, I did my homework, shopped around, read reviews like that here on eham, and other amateur radio related sites.

When I finally decided on the Rig Expert AA-230, it was a matter of saving, selling off unused, or extra gear, or gear that was no longer needed. When finally I had the funds I placed the order and patiently awaited the arrival of my new SWR analyzer. I am one that I tend to not use household funds for my hobby, on that rare occasion when I do use household funds I first make sure everything is paid and that we do indeed have the needed funds and will not be caught short. I would rather save,sell than be caught short, and don't mind, its my hobby and I figure I can fund my hobby myself...usually.

When my new analyzer finally did arrive, I attached the battery, charged the beast, and read the enclosed instruction, mostly just the basic functions, the how do you do this part. Once the analyzer was charged, I checked the SWR's on all my antenna's, my beam which I new was good on 10,15, and 20 meters was good, actually better than what showed on my MFJ-259B. I used both of my analyzers, just to see how much of a difference there was, on my beam, 15 and 20, was a good bit of difference, ten meters was the surprise, my 259B always showed an SWR of around 1.6:1 1.7:1, with my AA-230 it was more like 1.4:1 1.5:1 which pleased me greatly, cuase I dreaded the thought of having to crank my tower down, then get someone up a ladder, or even get some guys over to help me lay the tower down to try and adjust the trap for ten meters. I can live with an SWR of 1.4 or 1.5:1. Next was my 40 meter super loop, with my 259B my SWR was really quite good, I think the SWR was around 1.4:1, with the AA-230, it is about the same maybe 1.3, maybe even 1.25:1, then on to my GAP Challenger vertical. This would be the test, because as many of you may or may not know GAP antennas are among the best or are the best vertical antennas on the planet.

After all was said and done, most of the readings from 75/80 meters through 2 meters,(YES! The GAP Challenger is tuned for 2 meters as well as most of the HF spectrum, the Challenger is not tuned for 17 meters, which is I think, the only HF band other than 160 meters that the Challenger is not tuned for). So, if y'all are looking for an analyzer that is as close to lab quality, with out the lab quality price, your search is over.
You say..well Mark, the AA-230 is well over the $500 dollar mark! Yes it is, I think when all was said and done I have just over $600 wrapped up in my AA-230. In my opinion, this is as close to lab quality as your gonna get, I didn't say it was gonna be cheap, what I did say was you don't have the lab quality price. Lab quality analyzer are probably well over a thousand dollars, probably close to 2 grand, so for a quarter of the price you get a finely made piece of equipment, that should last me well more than the 9 years I got with my MFJ-259B. This is simply the best SWR analyzer out there, there are some that have full color screens and other bells and whistles. Here you have a no nonsense piece of equipment that gives you everything you're gonna need for your next antenna project. I have used this numerous, numerous times, not once has it failed to do what I needed it to do, and had friends stand there with mouth agape saying that they knew the antenna was good, but when the analyzer went on and showed and SWR of 2.5, 2.8, 3.0:1, you decide I tell them. You want to stick with the antenna the way it is now, or you want to do something about this. Do your home work, research, read reviews, make your own decisions, whatever works for you, works for you. For me the Rig Expert is simply the best there is!
Thank you all who have taken the time to read my review, this is my opinion, I enjoy corresponding with anyone who further wishes to on my experiences with this analyzer, my email address can be found here when you do a call sign search. God bless, everyone, have a great day!

73 de Mark