Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - 6M/VHF/UHF+ | Mirage B-2518-G Help

Show all reviews of the Mirage B-2518-G

You can write your own review of the Mirage B-2518-G .

K4MSG  Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2013 06:56  Send this review to a friend!
Works FB!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this amplifier in order to continue QRP EME operation after I (a) sold my old 200w TE systems amp, and (b) replaced it with a 350w TE systems amp that I promptly "toasted" by accidentally operating it with NO ANTENNA connected! The Mirage was the cheapest immnediate alternative and was regarded as a "stop-gap", but in fact it's done quite well!

Output is "as advertised", e.g., with 25w in I get 160w out. If I "push" it to 35w in I get almost 175w out - but I *DO NOT* recommend this for normal operation; keep it within recommended limits! The unit has "overdrive" protection but apparently I can't drive it hard enough to make it trip, but I monitor my input drive to be safe, anyway. It also has VSWR protection and that definitely works! If the "other" amp had included VSWR protection I wouldn't have fried it! (But that was definitely "my bad", no excuses).

The preamp works fine (spec is 1 dB NF), about as good as the preamp in my old 200w TE amp that was sold but not quite as sensitive as the 0.7 dB preamp in the new TE unit I "fried".

Lots of folks like to "trash" MFJ, but I'm not one of them. This amp is well-built; I've had the cover off and inside it looks very well-assembled. Adjustment pots are marked with the circuit-symbol numbers shown on the schematic so you can "figure out" what to adjust if you know how to read schematics & trace circuit functions on it.

If you want to try some low-budget QRP EME on 144 MHz, or need more "oompf" in your signal for terrestrial weak-signal work, you cannot beat this amp for anywhere near the same price.