Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng UV-82 Help

Show all reviews of the Baofeng UV-82

You can write your own review of the Baofeng UV-82.

KN0JI  Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2013 11:16  Send this review to a friend!
Best Baofeng ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The UV-82 (I actually have a UV-82L) is by far the very best Baofeng radio I have ever used, and I own several different models. It's the first Baofeng that feels like a serious HT, kinda reminding me (ok, a little) of my Yaesu FT-60R. It's a little larger, a little heavier, with larger keys (making it harder to fat-finger, unlike the B6), a more rugged exterior, and feels more professional, IMO. I don't like that you can't switch between Frequency Mode and Channel Mode with the push of a button like the 5RA.

Performance is fantastic, over and above the B5 or B6. From my favorite (146.76 and 147.08) local repeaters people report full quieting from me at 32 miles line-of-site, where the B6 is reported snowy and on the 5RA people say they have a difficult time making out what I'm saying, all using the same 1/4-wave whip. When I use my home-made four-radial ground plane, they all sound the same until I get about 41 miles from the same repeaters, then ditto.

The manual stinks, but on one hand don't all Baofeng manuals stink? and on the other hand, if you've programmed one Baofeng, pretty much you've programmed them all.