Categories | Receivers: Weather Alert | C. Crane Co. CC Radio Help

Show all reviews of the C. Crane Co. CC Radio

You can write your own review of the C. Crane Co. CC Radio.

PJR  Rating: 3/5 Oct 25, 2013 03:30  Send this review to a friend!
An OK radio with some flaws.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am not a DXer. These radios were/are used for otherwise ‘normal’ use. I wanted something beyond the ordinary cheap-build, portable AM/FM radio.

I have owned and used these radios over many years. I still use one of them currently, as I write this review. I have both the Black and Silver radio. I first bought the Black Mica Edition – then later, the Platinum Edition. However, some years ago, both of these radios developed a problem. The operation of the On/Off button and the switching between memory-stored stations became problematic.

Example, if I hit Memory Button 4, Memory 3 station comes up. If I try to turn off the radio, another stored-memory station pops up. It got so bad with the Black Mica Edition (Dark Gray) as the months flew by; I had to use the Sleep Button to turn off the radio. I put the Black Mica Edition in storage. The problem is more or less subtle with the Platinum Edition and I still use it, currently.

If I remember correctly, the problem was with an electrical connector(s?) and a sealant or ‘glue’ that over time becomes conductive causing this problem. Upon searching the Web, I found this site – hence I am writing this review. So far, I have not found any detailed info about the problem and how to fix it. I shall keep looking, but either way, I may attempt to dive in and see if I can fix it.

Sensitivity and Selectivity: I also have the GE SuperRadio II and still use it. I did a few daytime and nighttime AM DX comparison testing years ago. They both are close, by my ears, for sensitivity and selectivity. By a slightest of hairs, the CCradio appears to be better. With nighttime signal-fade distortion, the CCradio ‘clearly’ wins. On a deep fade, I could not hear what one talker said on the SuperRadio while it was intelligible with the CCradio.

FM: Overall, the SR and the CCradio were the same, except for selectivity on some weak stations. The CCradio has the slight edge here.

I normally do not use the TV band anymore, since analog VHF TV is gone, but I do pickup WLFM-LP Cleveland, OH on channel 6 and on the FM band on 87.75 30 miles away with the telescopic antenna. (I did switch around the antenna rods with the “SuperRadio I” and the Platinum Edition CCradio’s shorter antenna some years ago.)

Tuning: Over time, using the manual fine-tuning knob gets quite erratic. When tuning up or down in frequency, the tuning jumps in the opposite direction. Is this oxidation with copper contacts? I do not know, but what I do, is slide the digital lock button on, and then spin the tuning dial one way for about 10 seconds and the same for the opposite direction. It does help. This needs repeated if it is going to days and weeks before you fine-tune again.

AC Operation: I have nothing to report, as 99% of the time I use batteries.

Battery Operation: What I like about the analog SuperRadios 1 and 2, is the long life with batteries – right down to the last drop of juice. There is plenty of time (warning) for changing to a new set of batteries. Right now, I have six weak batteries in my SR2. I thought I was going to change batteries soon. That was 6 months ago! I can tell the batteries are weak by the excessive drift at first after power-up and audio distortion at higher volume and bass settings. Usually, at least one of the six batteries would completely die ahead of the others. Not this time, hence the extended operation – I have plenty of double-digit hours beyond the ‘norm’.

The CCradio uses four batteries. The only warning before the batteries ‘die’ for this digital-tuning radio is the one remaining battery icon. There is still plenty of hours left at this point, but no warning with these CCradios when the batteries are low enough where it suddenly turns off. (There is plenty of battery life remaining with these ‘dead’ batteries when used in the GE SuperRadio.)

Weather Alert: Do not use it much since the S.A.M.E. feature of other wx radios is available.

I am sorry for those that have this and other reception, audio, and the display problems with the CCradio as I search the Web. I have not noticed these other problems with these two CCradios.