Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Winradio G31DDC Help

Show all reviews of the Winradio G31DDC

You can write your own review of the Winradio G31DDC.

KD9VV  Rating: 4/5 Nov 2, 2013 11:44  Send this review to a friend!
A New Way to SWL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've read a few reviews complaining about the G31DDC not being a spectrum analyzer. To those who say this I say go BUY a spectrum analyzer.

WinRadio was never intended to replace a stand alone SA.

That said; this is a wonderful SDR for the avid SWL'r or utility monitor. Suffice it to say, the ability to (SEE) the entire spectrum or a closeup portion of it is something I never had years ago when I had to spin a VFO and hope I didn't miss adjacent signals of interest.

The filter capability is one of the best I've seen in this price class. I would have liked to see a dual notch however.

On the negative side is the text size. Trying to read the freq when you cursor across the wideband display is a challenge or placing a freq marker. C'mon WinRadio, increase the text size please.

The waterfall display is the way to go when digging out weak signals. I also like the hotkey option to quickly move from mode to mode or filter to filter.

Creating my own memories of interest is best for me as I am not a advocate of the HFCC or EIBI conventions as they seem to change often.

A good antenna is a must for this radio, and once installed, the radio just rocks. Freq drift? What drift?..None that I can hear!

A few have commented about lack of a pre-amp. The G31DDC does not need one; besides, pre-amps are a joke unless you like to see the noise floor come up with the signal.

For a SDR in the $800-$900 I can not think of anything better.

I've pulled signals out of the basement that my older Kenwoods and Icoms never could.