Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-2000/2000D Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-2000/2000D

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2000/2000D.

WC4R  Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2013 05:28  Send this review to a friend!
A real keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I gave this a rating of 5 because the FT2000 is a great rig (not perfect). I tend to compare this radio against my IC746PRO, Drake R4C w/ Sherwood mods, TenTec Orion, & Flex 5000A.
It stacks up very well and I use the Yaesu at least 50% of the time. The radio has all the normal features any ham will need. It does not have the features or performance of my Flex but for the cost, it stacks up very well. The only weak area is the 3KHz filter which is hardly any better than the 6KHz filter. Of course you could do the mod for the AC0C filter if needed to fix that.
I do not use a DMU as I do not see the value of that expensive option. Beside, my Flex blows that part of it away. Not a fair comparison.
TX audio is outstanding. Even AM performance is very good. For voice, CW, digital, casual or DX, this radio is a real keeper. Simple to operate, and ergonomically pleasing. Wonderful for Field Day. The fit, finish, and overall feel is top quality.
It is a real shame it has been discontinued. The newer 3000 model does not perform as well and that band scope on the 3000/1200 is a joke.
The latest firmware has eliminated virtually all the old issues of the original units. Yaesu's support has been very good.
For a main stream, better than average HF radio, this is the one to grab.