Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Wouxun KG-UV3D Help

Show all reviews of the Wouxun KG-UV3D

You can write your own review of the Wouxun KG-UV3D.

N4KC  Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2013 07:54  Send this review to a friend!
A thousand miles...at least  Time owned: more than 12 months
This little guy has been well over a thousand miles with me on my exercise walks around the neighborhood every other morning...through heat, cold, rain...and it just keeps working. I typically monitor the various repeaters while simultaneously listening to FM broadcast. My Yaesu VX-5 is easily overloaded by FM so is useless for that function. BTW, invest in a quarter-wave whip to replace the rubber-ducky dummy load that comes on the radio. I routinely chat through repeaters 15 to 20 miles away.

Yes, it has its quirks. The manual is obtuse and poorly translated. Programming is quirky (like most HTs, by the way) but the software makes it a snap once you catch on. And sometimes it has a mind of its own. I've had my favorite FM broadcast stations programmed in the whole couple of years I've had the HT and all has been well. But last week, memory 1 suddenly was the sports-talk station, no longer NPR. Memory 2 was still the sports-talk outlet, so now it's on both memory channels. Is this a political commentary on behalf of my radio, denouncing NPR? Or is it just reminding me it is college football season and I should be listening to sports-talk?

That means I have to figure out how to program the FM broadcast memories again and that is not available in the software that I can find. Time to translate the manual again!

But have I gotten my $100 worth of good out of this radio? Many times over!

Don N4KC