Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Alpha DX-Mil Antenna 6-60 Meters & QRP-1KW + needs no tuner Help

Show all reviews of the Alpha DX-Mil Antenna 6-60 Meters & QRP-1KW + needs no tuner

You can write your own review of the Alpha DX-Mil Antenna 6-60 Meters & QRP-1KW + needs no tuner.

KC6NRE  Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2013 08:50  Send this review to a friend!
Great QRP antenna! +80 Meters? 1KW=WOW!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna a little over a year ago when I was looking for an all around replacement antenna for my Alex Loop and Buddipole. Mainly because I wanted to only carry one antenna that does it all. Well this is it!

PROS:
EASY TO TUNE - My original purchase came with the extendable whips, and a few months ago Alpha Antenna came out with the upgrade package to Mil-Stick whips for the Alpha DX. This made a big difference, because tuning is now so much easier with the new whips.

QRP to 1000 Watts - Where my Alex Loop was 20 watts PEP and Buddipole was 250 watts PEP, the DX Mil is 1,000 watts Continous!

Performance - The DX Mil has a longer vertical whip and three horizontal whips. The 3 horizontal whips gives the lower 40-80 meter bands better performance because these bands tend to operate more with NVIS, while the vertical whip provides the take off angle for DX that allows me to really out perform the other antennas when compared side by side on both receive and transmit.

Durability - So, after a year of using the telescopic whips that Alpha Antenna used to ship with the DX, I found that they were getting gritty from the environment I used them in. Although a little oil seemed to clear this up, I found myself wanting for more. That's when I went back to Alpha Antenna and noticed the DX-Mil. About 3 months ago I bought the new whips, which I was informed have begun shipping with all DX-Mil systems. These are really the most durable whips I've seen for civilian use. Although Alpha Antenna doesn't claim this antenna will work on 80 meters (yet), these new whips allowed me to tune 80 Meters with my LDG tuner. Oh, and very strong well built tripod and bag!

CONS:
Weight - I'd say this antenna system comes in around 12 pounds, which the weight is dispersed fairly evenly with the shoulder strap, but I wouldn't want to carry this back packing more than a mile or two.

Durability - This turned out to be both a pro and a con, as the coil is the weakest point in this antenna system. After about 9 months of using it I had to resolder the wire with the clip back on. This required me to remove a peice of shrink tube. Once the shrink tube was off I also noticed there was a metal cylinder that also needed a little solder to the coil. That bit of maintenance and all was working perfectly again.