Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Radiowavz G5RV Jr. Help

Show all reviews of the Radiowavz G5RV Jr.

You can write your own review of the Radiowavz G5RV Jr..

K8WTF  Rating: 4/5 Nov 8, 2013 16:28  Send this review to a friend!
Pretty good little antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I met some of the proprietors of Radio Wavz a few years ago at Dayton. They were a very friendly bunch and suggested the G5RV Jr for my small lot.

Configuration: Performance: I have mine up roughly 28' in the air - best I can do on my small lot. The ladder line is supposed to go straight down, but again, not possible in my configuration. The ladder line instead comes down at about 70-80 degrees to the antenna, and I have about 8-12' of the ladder line somewhat looped. I did remove the SO-239 connector and put a 1:1 current balun to act as an RF choke. I feel that this has improved performance, but I can't substantiate that with any hard evidence.

Durability: I've had it in the air as my sole HF antenna for about 2 years now in northeast Ohio. It has survived strong winds, rain, ice, everything the snow belt can throw at it. I did take it down briefly a few weeks ago to inspect. The insulation is a little rough in a few spots, but the ladder line, coils, and insulators are all in great shape. It will last many more years I'm sure.

Performance: This antenna is a great performer for me on 20 meters. It definitely seems to be the sweet spot, at least in my less-than-optimum configuration. In fact, I get a less than 2:1 SWR if I bypass my tuner. I've also had very good luck on 15 and 10 meters when those bands have been open. It is a little tough to get tuned on the higher bands, but I can get a nearly flat SWR without much trouble. 40 meters tunes but does not perform very well for me. Although not recommended, I have used this antenna on 80 meters and made a number of stateside contacts.

Overall: If you are on a small lot, this is a great choice for an antenna - particularly at this price.