Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | GAP Titan Help

Show all reviews of the GAP Titan

You can write your own review of the GAP Titan.

WO8USA  Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2013 18:32  Send this review to a friend!
Nice vertical, good for 40-80  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Material Quality: 5+
Operation as advertised: 5 (good vertical)
Instructions: 3+

I got this from R&L Electronics after considering all the antennas on the market and the location I had and needs. I wanted to complent my Traffie Hexbeam and wanted a good 40-80m antenna in a small place. Did not want the radial farm and decided this was the antenna. Amazing that it does what it says, no SWR issues. Great 40m performance during CQWWDX 2013 phone, did not get to try much on 80m. It is tall, I decided to use the DX Engineering mount to raise it. I highly recommend light guys slightly above the center to keep it from swaying and stressing the mount too much. Mine is post mounted on a 4x4 10 feet off the ground. Search and you will see some excellent suggestins on guying as well as ways to keep the radials from drooping. No trouble with an amplifier.

Good SWR, <1.5 across the high bands, I have made no adjustments on low bands. Its not a beam, but offers nice multi-band, omni direction coverage. My main use is for 40/80m and also for PSK andops froma remote location when I cannot turn my Hexbeam. But you must give it some guys, not too hgh up becasue you may snap it in the center. But this is a heavy duty antenna, qulaity materials.

Be prepared: read directions 2-3x before you even start, you need lots of room to assemble on ground, it took me 3 hours in a relaxed mode to get together, make sure you do not rush ahead on instructions or you will disassemble. You really do need two sawhorses. Instructions could be improved, check internet for some nice pictures.

A complaint: for $400 I should not have to put my own SO-239 on the end. Hardest part was getting the yellow coax out the little hole and sticking the connector on...soldering outside?

73 Chris WO8USA