Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | FlexRadio FLEX 6500 Help

Show all reviews of the FlexRadio FLEX 6500

You can write your own review of the FlexRadio FLEX 6500.

KB5VE  Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2013 15:01  Send this review to a friend!
GETTING BETTER EVERYDAY  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I did a review after I got my 6500 in and on the air. you can see it so I will not rehash what has been said. I can only say the 6500 has the best reciever I have ever owned or set in front of and that includes all the great radios and many commercial and military recievers. Yes the functions are limited but when I set down and copy cw and ssb signals comparing the 6500 to the orion, 756 pros, yaesu 5000 and the ts 990 it out shines them all without a lot of bells and whistles. the filters are the best out there and I would like to see one that is better.

I bought this radio knowing that it was in a development stage and as far as I know so did everyone who has one. I was told I could wait for the completed production firmware and smart sdr. I chose to take the radio and enjoy the ride. And the ride is getting better each day. three people have since bought Flex 6500's after seeing this radio work at my station and a friends station.

I see a comment about the poor service of Flex and failure to communicate with them. To that I can only say in the last 6 years my dealings have been 180 degrees in the other direction. They have always returned my calls and even answered my questions on a weekend. Is this radio the radio for everyone, no it is not. Some people can never adapt to not having to keep adjusting knobs to get the filters set and switching new filters in. This radio is extreamly user friendly if you can move a mouse and boot up a computer. I know some people are never satisfied with anything but I can assure you the 6000 series can be the last radio you will buy.

At this time it has exceeded what I was told it would do and the Road Map that was given to us is total disclosure which the other companies should do on there products. If you know someone with a 6000 series radio go see it run, if not go to a ham fest where they are at. But be careful you might just buy one.

Game changer yes it is, needs more capibilitires yes it does, are they comming yes they are. I like my 6500 so much that i plan on buying a second one. Right now I can go to any tv in my house and operate my radio over my home network, tomorrow the internet think about it going QRO mobil without the big antenna.

I am sure some will not see this radio the way I do butsome people thought the Wright brothers were crazy, go to dayton and see the air museum and see how crazy they were. 73 and thanks for reading

Dale