Categories | Ham Work Bench Tools & Test Equipment | Andy Crimp from Quick Silver Radio Products Help

Show all reviews of the Andy Crimp from Quick Silver Radio Products

You can write your own review of the Andy Crimp from Quick Silver Radio Products.

WB6OCA  Rating: 0/5 Nov 23, 2013 18:43  Send this review to a friend!
Buy something else  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
*Instructions are poor. There is an adjustment wheel on the side of the tool, but no mention of it.
*Cannot close dies on the larger wire sizes by hand. I put one handle on workbench and pushed down with both hands, and all my weight. That worked.
*No guide to set barrel position in the jaws.
*No guide to keep barrel from rotating relative to the tongue. The crimp tools shape the barrel area to be square-ish. If the contact is not in the same plane as the flat bottom on the contact, the tongue cannot be pushed through the narrow slot in the center of the housing.
* Tongue/contact is bent "down" by the tool. Must be straightened before inserting.
* About half the time the contact would not insert. In a couple cases I spent over a minute bending contact, inspecting housing, pouring scotch, trying different housings, and eventually it would go in.
*Required total focus for Crimping and Inserting.

I had over a hundred contacts to crimp and this was not working for me. I purchased a Tri-Crimp (Available with several names) and life is now good. I found that I could crimp a couple dozen contacts while focused on the TV, and the contacts inserted easily. For each contact size, the larger wires still require more effort than the smaller ones, but it is now manageable. Perhaps due in part to longer handles.