Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Eagle One Vertical Antenna Help

Show all reviews of the Eagle One Vertical Antenna

You can write your own review of the Eagle One Vertical Antenna.

NN3RP  Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2013 16:42  Send this review to a friend!
Super!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Back in September I bought this antenna at a Hamfest. At that time, I saw a pile of people around this big pole with a flag on top. I've seen this ant being sold before but always walked away from it. Well, I was in for a surprise.

At first, I had troubles in getting it to work. Only after I placed several double radials 32', 16', 8' long, I was able to make this vertical to work properly.

The ant sits on its own tripod and it is supported by its three small ground rods. I added a 10' copper ground rod from Homedepot and connected it with a silver braided ground cable to the antenna ground.

On 40M and 6M this antenna has a flat SWR (no tuner required). On other bands the SWR is low but the Tokyo tuner brings it down with ease. I created a spreadsheet of the sweat points so I can easily point my tuner to.

This ant resonates in all directions of the world NSEW as tested during several contests since September. I ran my station at 1Kw during contests and this ant can withstand it.

Comparing it to Carolina Windom (80M) and Force 12 (my other two ant) is practically impossible. The reception seems to be of equal effect.

One caveat found was that the last two sections did not stay in place. I noticed that the SWR changed in one ocassion on 40M. In visually checking the ant, it was noticed that the last two sections had come down. We'd had several days of heavy wind in the area. To prevent this from happening, I placed several rounds of color tape ABOVE the juncture of each section. Tested SWR again and I was back in business. The tape has kept it there for good and I always can see the color tape there.

Overall, this is an easy to setup antenna. Radials are a must have for it to work efficiently. For us with limited space in our yards, it is a great ant to be owned.

I am very happy with it and I can recommend to anyone.