Categories | Microphones | SBE (Belcom) desk top microphone Help

Show all reviews of the SBE (Belcom) desk top microphone

You can write your own review of the SBE (Belcom) desk top microphone.

KD0WOO  Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2013 17:27  Send this review to a friend!
Reports are good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't usually write reviews but this is a fairly rare microphone. There were four up for auction, a super rare NIB one for $150, a $52 BIN scuffed up one, a used one for $157 and a fourth I was bidding on that looked to be in fair to good condition.

It was cold so I headed out to a local flea market to pass some time Sunday afternoon and as I was leaving I spotted a 100X up high on a shelf that I must've walked past quite a few times. It had a couple of scuffs etc but was decent and works great.

Since it was only $12.50 I bought it and stopped bidding on the other one, it went for $49 total. So the prices I have seen range from $49 to $150 NIB, and you have a slim chance of finding one like I did.

As another reviewer stated they're hard to get clean because of the texture. After a couple of scrubbings I chose to paint it with a small art brush and spray paint sprayed in a cup, it is thin. Dobbing it on you can get down into the texture and maintain it because the spray paint dries fast and becomes sticky. You can texture it from there.

The guys on the radio say it sounds great on my TS-450 which only has so much transmit bandwidth that you cannot adjust. One guy said it has a full, rich, very clear tone with not too much bass and still plenty of mids and highs. He emphasized clear, very clear, and much more low end than the hand mic.

It turned out very good but took some time. I run it on 4 which lets me relax and it doesn't pick up the electric heater which I can hear fine. VOX works too.

I'm very happy with it even though I haven't heard it yet. It does have the capacitor another reviewer mentioned and I have not tried removing it yet. When I do I'll report that.

It sounds very good, has a good solid feel and weight to it and looks very nice even if you do have to touch it up. It is a steal at $50 or so compared to the cost of other decent used mics.

I wish I had some info on it such as response range etc, but I know it is more than the hand mic. My Sure 450 mic is not anywhere near as good, so bad I won't use it (tinny, hollow).

I don't like having something just like everyone else has, so I really like this one and will be keeping it. If you get one cheap enough and don't like it you can sell it as they seem to have a reasonable resale value for a 20~25+ year old mic.

I'm on 7.200 most of the time if you want to hear it.