Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TMV71A Help

Show all reviews of the Kenwood TMV71A

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TMV71A.

VE3LNU  Rating: 3/5 Dec 5, 2013 06:17  Send this review to a friend!
Great radio BUT...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought a second-hand TMV71A because I needed a higher-quality dual-receive rig in my mobile. I am very impressed with the radio, from the microphone that feels very good in the hand (like the older and larger mics) to the list of impressive features for IRLP and Echolink. I have also gotten great audio reports. Unfortunately, there is always a BUT with any radio, so here goes.

Why on earth would Kenwood design and produce a high-quality mobile radio capable of 50 watts on both bands but a mid-range power level of only 10 watts? This is just plain senseless in my humble opinion. There isn't a significant gain in going from low power at 5 watts to mid power at 10 watts. Why is this a problem? It means that if your signal into a repeater is a bit marginal, you have to run the rig at full power all the time. 25 watts would make a lot more sense as a mid-power level and would likely suffice for most repeaters! What on earth were you thinking, Kenwood?

So beware: if you need a rig that can run 25 watts, this is NOT your radio. Running it at 50 watts all the time, especially if you make long transmissions like me, is only asking for trouble in the long run. I have it from a technician friend that it is not recommended to run any rig in a carrier mode (i.e. FM) at its full output on a consistent basis.

Joe VE3LNU