Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | MFJ-1621 portable antenna Help

Show all reviews of the MFJ-1621 portable antenna

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1621 portable antenna.

WA7KGX  Rating: 4/5 Dec 7, 2013 13:16  Send this review to a friend!
Good for what it is.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Interesting little device I picked up at a hamfest some time ago. I just started using it today so am reporting 0-3 months' ownership.

The 1621's instructions are quite clear - the 50 foot coax is to be uncoiled and not crossed over. Well, I did uncoil a few feet of it.

The instructions insist I put the supplied plastic insulator over the whip. Feeding it with 5 million microwatts from my FT-817, I didn't bother. 5 watts on 20 does not seem to cause RF burns.

Common sense suggests the antenna should be in a somewhat open area, perhaps a patio or balcony. For its first test the antenna sits on my operating desk, surrounded by radios and test equipment. Perfect place for a dummy load.

Relying on years of experience with various tuners I decided to start the tuneup by setting the coupling cap ("matching") to mid position, rotated the switch to maximize noise, then adjusted the controls for minimum SWR or maximum meter reading.

Nonetheless it vastly outperformed a dummy load. WSPR on 20 meters reached all the way to Baltimore, some 3000 miles away.

I would like to see the next product come with an antenna that telescopes down to a foot or so. I would also like to see it made rain resistant.
The switch should be secured to the panel so it can't rotate.