Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC 7100 Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC 7100

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC 7100.

VE2DIY  Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2013 23:40  Send this review to a friend!
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the radio as a possible replacement for my ic-7000 and I'm happy I did.

Many small thing have been improved over the 7000 when I compare both radio. If we put aside the d-star function (haven't use it much yet) I feel the radio is worth the price asked.

Improvement over the ic-7000 :
-white noise is gone, it was so tiring on the 7000 with headphones
-af gain is easier to adjust for low volume
-better audio in rx (so much better with external speaker) and tx (both with the original microphone and my modded hm-151)
-tone control in rx and tx
-swr meter on all band and current draw
-doesn't run hot like the 7000 and use multiple fan speed
-the screen display more informations, it's not just bigger and is also easier to read across the room
-double the alpha tags characters available
-the buttons are more robust
-improved dsp (7000 was very good already)
-easier to control and better implementation of the menus
-two preamp in hf
-built in rtty decoder is easier to adjust
-sd card for easy transfer of audio files and backup
-USB connection and no need of a rigblaster and all the wires to hook to the computer
-more reliable when interfaced with ham radio deluxe or dm780
-touch screen interface for quick access to many features (works well for a resistive touch screen)
-faster and better scan function (less buried in menus)
-lower power consumption
-dprs
-less rf sensitive in my shack with my random wire
-easy to hide the main unit and clean up the wires in the shack
-new band added
-and more

What's missing :
-color screen (not useful on the 7000 but nice to look at)
-video output (on the 7000 the video output doesn't add more informations than the radio screen and is very limited in resolution)
-simple notch filter instead of dual
-no dtmf microphone, ok it's not that useful with the touch screen but it should be included with radio of this type
-no brackets included with the radio, come on icom !

Considering I got the radio for 1500$ and the 7000 was selling close to that not long ago, i personally consider it reasonably priced and for my use( in the shack), it's a serious upgrade to an already good radio. Add to that the d-star (it's a bonus for me) and it's probably the most complete radio on the market.

That said, I wouldn't use one in my car, specially with the winter we have here, considering that many operation are conducted using the touch screen.

I recommend to purchase rt systems programming software but don't purchase the bundle with a cable, the USB one provided with the radio do the job.

I really like that radio, it's quite fun to operate.