Categories | Keys & Paddles | Vizkey Cootie Key Help

Show all reviews of the Vizkey Cootie Key

You can write your own review of the Vizkey Cootie Key.

N4KHZ  Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2013 04:00  Send this review to a friend!
My “Big Foot” Cootie… Rhythmic and Smooth and a Blast to use!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently got back into Ham Radio after a 25 year hiatus and had always loved code. I had been using Bencher paddles back then but wanted to do something different and fun. I thought about a straight key, and bought a nice German Junker off of eBay, but I found that "pounding brass" seemed a little too jarring and uncomfortable. I tried a Vibroplex single paddle, but it was a little “clunky” for sideswiping. I had seen the sideswiper "Cooties" made from hack-saw blades, metal rulers, knife blades, etc… They had a flexible arm and this seemed like it would be gentler and smoother. I read the reviews here on eHam, and the Vizkey Cootie looked like it was the one to get. Everyone seemed to love it! A couple of people did mention that you may need to hold it, as it was sorta small, so I asked Tom if he could build one a little bigger, 3" X 4 ½ " instead of 2” X 3 ½” ( 93% bigger footprint!) He was very accommodating and for a few bucks more, and in a couple of days, he made me a beautiful “Big Foot” Cootie Key!! He shipped it out right-away and wow, I now have an AWESOME key!
I LOVE this key! Its larger size makes it stay put and it has a commanding presence on the table in my shack. But it’s so sweet to operate. Very gentle with a little flex at the end of each swipe makes for comfortable and FUN sending! Much more satisfying than using an iambic keyer and paddles. I wish I had one of these back in ’75 with my HW-16… Anyway, this is clearly my all-time favorite! And the workmanship is impeccable. And of course, Tom is a pleasure to do business with!
My “Big Foot” Vizkey Cootie… A simple and superior Morse machine!
John N4kHz