Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Elecraft K3 Help

Show all reviews of the Elecraft K3

You can write your own review of the Elecraft K3.

AD9DX  Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2013 15:23  Send this review to a friend!
Head and shoulders above the rest  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been a ham since I was a kid and have over the years tried a lot of different radios. What the K3 does better than anything else is give you a chance to work the ones that are either buried in the mud or the weak ones adjacent to very strong signals.

The K3 will not ever win a beauty contest or be hailed the ergonomic champion of the world. It also has noisy RX if you don't learn what settings to play with. Also the RX does not sound as smooth as a Kenwood. These are things you learn to live with or you sell the rig... It is like a Ferrari F40, you deal with a few less creature comforts to go really fast. Same is true with the K3, you get a bit more noise and "harsh" audio but selectivity is second to none.

Another big plus for me is since I don't have a ton of money to spend on ham radio, I can buy bits and pieces I feel I need as time goes along. Things like a digital voice recorder and 10mHz input that I'll never use never have to be added. Trust me just because a radio has options as standard, does not mean you are not paying for them. Meaningful things for me like exceptionally narrow roofing filters IF out and an antenna tuner can be purchased when money is available. This means I can have a world class radio on a working man's budget.

The other big plus of the K3 is the customer service. If you ever do have an issue with your rig, Elecraft will bend over backwards to make sure you are satisfied and you K3 is up and running.

Finally if you are someone who likes to try rigs and then sell them to try something different. Elecraft radios seem to hold their value better than anything on the market.