Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu FT-530 Help

Show all reviews of the Yaesu FT-530

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-530.

K1MGY  Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2013 05:07  Send this review to a friend!
Repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
The FT-530 is an easy to operate, rugged, robust radio. I traded with a local ham for two of these; one non-functional and the other delivered with a warning: "never, ever set this in the desk charger when the radio power is turned on". Two months later I did just that, which resulted in another dead FT-530.

Recently I determined to repair at least one of these radios. The schematic diagram available by download is of poor quality, but I managed to nurse it into a somewhat useful state. A brief study led me to a 5 volt voltage regulator on the CNTRL Unit made by Seiko Instruments: S-87050-VR. In one unit the regulator was hot, and the output was flat. In the other, the regulator was cracked (had overheated to the point of destruction). A read of Seiko's data sheet for this part revealed its lack of short circuit and over-current protection and a very limited input voltage range (a transient when the radio was first attached to the charger was the likely culprit). Although available through YAESU, the part is otherwise absent normal distribution. Further search led me to Seiko, for they have updated this part, and greatly improved upon its capabilities. Plus it has a new part number, in the S-87 series. If I were re-designing the FT-530's 5V supply, I'd use it, for Seiko has added short circuit protection and - significantly - improved the input voltage range. The package is tiny but is able to dissipate 500mw through an integrated heat sink pad at the base of the device. Makes it difficult to remove, of course.

Seiko kindly provided a few samples of the part (S-875033EUP-AJAT2). Readers who dig into the data sheet will note that there are a 5 versions of the device, one handling shutdown and another providing delay for voltage detector. I chose the wrong part and had to jumper the SENSE pin to VIN so the device would regulate. This problem aside, my FT-530 is working again. I'll keep the other broken unit in reserve for parts.