Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC 7100 Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC 7100

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC 7100.

N6SBN  Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2014 23:52  Send this review to a friend!
A good all around Mobile/Base radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the 7100 for digital. I'm using it with a Signalink USB. I still use the Radio's USB connection for Rig Control. This combination does a good job for my digital operations. The problem at my QTH is that I'm surrounded by plasma TVs. I needed a mobile rig to put in my truck, or use as a field day portable. I hope to do some mountain topping.

A couple of points. It takes some study to learn the touch screen controls. Once the touch screen is learned, I find that I can change settings on the radio quickly. Also, I find that I have better control of the radio through the touch screen.

For digital, I find that the 7100 is more stable during operations than my TS-590s. The TS-590's ALC will wander. Not so with the 7100. The 7100 stays cool during extended QSOs. The receivers are comparable in my noisy QTH. The Icom has better NB and NR function.

My 7100 had the problem with the clock forgetting the time when the radio was shut off. The solution was to leave the 7100 running for a few hours. This seemed to charge up the battery. Now the clock is retaining it's memory.

The manual states to put Ferites on the power, control and USB cables. So, plan on buying some of these. No clicking or noise noted with the ferites in place.

Things I miss. The 590s has a tune button which switches the radio to 10 watts and transmits a tone. This allows my remote tuner to tune up my multi-band antenna, with each frequency change. The 7100 will not do this. You have to connect the tuner to the Icom tuner jack. You could attach an LDG AT to the Icom tuner jack, but this puts the AT in the shack, not at the antenna feed where I want it. Solution? not sure yet. Some are using the "Tune" button in FLDIGI. I haven't got this sorted out yet.

Most small radios are hard to control because of the extensive menus and tiny displays. The 7100 solves this with the touch screen. I believe the combination of the touch screen and strong performance of the transceiver make this a winner in the "Small, portable radio column"

Good DX in 2014 SK SK... N6SBN