Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ramsey Qamp 40 Help

Show all reviews of the Ramsey Qamp 40

You can write your own review of the Ramsey Qamp 40.

NG9D  Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2014 08:25  Send this review to a friend!
If it ain't broke, don't fix it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was somewhat skeptical - with the precision of electronic component manufacturing, how could folks have such widely different experiences with this kit?

I read all the many useful hints and suggestions. When the kit arrived, I noticed that it is designed to work with an input power level from about one to two Watts. So it seemed that no mods were needed for my application, and I decided to build it according to the manufacturer's instructions.

The only small difference to the manufacturer's instructions: since no #24 gage enamel wire was included in my kit (it had been opened) I used #26 enamel wire for the secondary transformer, and #22 enamel wire for the primary transformer and the toroids.

By the way, if you go to Radio Shack to get enamel wire, DO NOT use the RS part number listed in the Ramsey instruction book, since that RS part number is for un-insulated #24 gage wire! The RS part number for the enamel wire I used is shown in the link below.

Now my little QRP rig, based on Doug DeMaw's tuna-tin circuit, is putting out 10W! I took a series of slides to show how it went together and how it is working. You can see them here:

I suppose time will tell how this amp holds up. If I learn any more, or if it melts down, I will report at www.YouTube.com/NG9D

Lynn